As the time goes by, peoples relationships become more of a routine and they don’t try to include new ideas like sex toys to enhance their sex life. They do not focus on being intimate or having sex anymore because things have become mundane and stale. Sadly some people will feel all is lost and it may even lead to divorce or going on their separate ways rather than trying to find solutions. Today the Internet is a prime way to find out information on how to fix most problems concerning life, love and sex.
Incorporating sex toys into your relationship may awaken the sensuality and closeness a couple has been desiring and missing but before you make the plunge pause for a moment to think about what adult toy is exactly right for you.
Sex toys by and large are designed and made for safe sex, however you must keep it clean and hygienic before and after each use to ensure that they remain that way. Using unclean sex toys can cause STD’s and STI’s and no-one in their right mind would want that. Remember when you are using them natural liquids including semen, vaginal liquids and blood may be on the surfaces of your toys. So the message is safe is squeaky clean,
Things to keep in mind
- Before using the toy, check for any imperfections, including rough edges, tears, or cracks.
- Using lubrication is a great way to help enhance the pleasure and safety of sex toys. Ensure the lubricant befits the toy, follow the instructions that come with the toy.
- If sharing, such dildos, butt plugs, or vibrators, use condoms and dental dams to help prevent the spread of STIs.
- Don’t insert the sex toy in the mouth or vagina if it has been used in the anus without a condom or without being washed properly.
- If it hurts, stop. It means you are using it wrong. If you are using toys with a sexual partner, trust each other.
What’s the best way to clean adult toys?
- Always clean your sex toys thoroughly before and thoroughly after use.
- Never use your sex toys from anus to vaginal or penis area without being thoroughly cleaned.
- Sharing isn’t always good. If you have changed sexual partners it is also a good idea to change sex toys. Some sexual toys such as glass dildos can be shared once sterilized.
- Wash glass sex toys with soap and water. Pyrex toys are dishwasher safe. Do not expose glass to extreme temperatures.
- If attached to an electrical device, use warm soapy water, being careful not to submerge any electrical components. If there are no electrical components you have 3 options: Boil or soak in a bleach-water solution 50:50 ratio for 10 minutes, or place it in the dishwasher.
- Clean your sex toys with anti-bacterial soap and water.
- Rubber materials are porous and difficult to clean. In addition, their composition is not always known or may contain phthalates, chemicals which have been shown to be harmful to your health.
- Cyberskin is soft and porous, often used for dildos. Wash Cyberskin and vinyl toys delicately with warm water only. Air dry and powder a small amount with cornstarch to keep them from getting sticky.
- Nylon harnesses and toys can be machine or hand washed with a mild anti-bacterial soap.
- Wipe leather products with a damp, soapy cloth or with leather cleaner. Do not soak leather. After cleaning, you may recondition your toy using a leather conditioner. Protect metal parts from tarnish by applying a coating of clear nail polish.
- Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions for your specific sex toy.
Once you have chosen your sex toy ensure there’s no splits that could harm fragile tissue or harbor microbes or noticeable stains. If something appears to be off, you’ll know, and I would suggest that you ask for a replacement. Turn it on and ensure the batteries are working, recharge or replace the batteries before use.
Rick is the owner of the Adultsmart, an online sex toy shop that stocks a huge range of adult orientated prouducts. He has been involved in the adult lifestyle industry for more than 25 years. Rick is an active sex blogger who provides a wealth of information and experience. He is an advocate of equality for gender and sexuality.